Sharp's RoBoHoN Mobile Robotic Phone
Note: The display shows a simulated image. The actual display may look different.
Sharp Corporation will release RoBoHoN, a small and easily portable robot-shaped phone.
The phone was developed in collaboration with Tomotaka Takahashi, Project Associate Professor at the University of Tokyo's Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology and CEO of robot development company Robo Garage Co., Ltd. RoBoHoN is the world's first*1 mobile robotic phone. This humanoid robot can walk on two legs and is compact enough (approx. 19.5 cm tall) to be carried almost anywhere.
Supporting LTE and 3G networks, RoBoHoN has all the basic mobile phone functions, such as phone, e-mail, and camera, as well as a range of services accessed through dedicated apps, all of which are used by conversing with this humanoid. A newly developed built-in compact laser projector*2 with focus-free operation allows users to project photos, videos, and maps onto a screen or wall. Users can also download dedicated apps to give RoBoHoN new functions and services. What's more, RoBoHoN can grow to accommodate more natural communication with the user by learning the user's profile and usage situation.
In conjunction with the product launch, an official RoBoHoN website provides users with cloud services and information on connectivity, product warranty, and how to reserve and purchase RoBoHoN.
Sharp is focusing on promoting and supporting RoBoHoN, a totally new concept in IT mobile devices.
||Mobile Robotic Phone
|Suggested retail price
||198,000 yen plus tax*3
|Date of introduction (in Japan)
||May 26, 2016
- Note: Pre-order sales to begin at 1 p.m. on Thursday, April 14, 2016 via the official RoBoHoN website.
|Monthly sales volume
- 1. Humanoid robot can walk on two legs and be operated by voice commands.
- 2. Compact enough to carry and use almost anywhere.
- 3. In addition to all the basic mobile phone functions such as phone, e-mail, and camera, RoBoHoN has a projector for showing photos and videos the user has taken.
- 4. By downloading dedicated apps, users can expand the range of functions and services RoBoHoN offers.
- *1 As of April 14, 2016; for mobile phones (based on Sharp research).
- *2 A RoBoHoN's projector function can only be used by the registered user of that particular RoBoHoN.
- *3 In addition to the price of RoBoHoN itself, there are various monthly service fees, such as for the Cocoro Plan. If users do not register for the Cocoro Plan, they cannot use the voice recognition function.
- ● RoBoHoN, Cocoro Plan, and the RoBoHoN logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sharp Corporation.
||Mobile Robotic Phone
||Approx. 19.5 cm/390 g
||1.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 400 processor
||ROM: 16GB, RAM: 2GB
|Continuous phone talk time (in still mode)
||VoLTE: Approx. 400 minutes, 3G: Approx. 410 minutes
|Continuous standby mode time (in still mode)
||LTE: Approx. 210 hours, 3G: Approx. 220 hours
|Phone usage time on one charge
||More than 1 day*4
||LTE: 1 (2.0GHz), 3 (1.7GHz), 19 (800MHz)
3G: 1 (2.0GHz), 6 (800MHz), 19 (800MHz)
||Approx. 2.0-inch QVGA
||8-megapixel CMOS camera
||HD (1,280 x 720) equivalent
||9 (3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis geo-magnetometer,
3-axis gyroscope), light sensor
||Approx. 155 min.
||Table-top holder, AC adaptor, microUSB cable
- Note: This product has passed inter-operability testing (IOT) for compatibility with NTT DOCOMO, Inc. networks.
- *4 Assuming 130 minutes a day using camera, e-mail, conversation, search, phone, and projector functions. Battery life may be shorter depending on usage factors (such as frequent use of servo motors or projector).
- *5 Only compatible with 2.4GHz band
- ● Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
- ● Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.
- ● Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
- ● Qualcomm and Snapdragon are registered trademarks of Qualcomm Incorporated in the US and other countries and regions. Sharp Corporation has permission to use these trademarks.
- ● The offline voice recognition engine used in this product is AmiVoice®, a product of Advanced Media, Inc.
- ● AmiVoice® is a registered trademark of Advanced Media, Inc.
- ● The voice activity detection technology used in this product is mimi®, a product of Fairy Devices Inc.
- ● mimi® is a registered trademark of Fairy Devices Inc.
- ● The cloud voice recognition technology used in this product is VoCon™ Hybrid, a product of Nuance Communications, Inc.
- ● Nuance and VoCon™ Hybrid are registered trademarks of Nuance Communications, Inc. and its affiliates in the US and other countries.
- ● The voice synthesis software used in this product is VoiceText, a product of HOYA Service Corporation. VoiceText is a registered trademark of Voiceware Co., Ltd.
- ● The facial recognition technology used in this product is OKAO® Vision, a product of Omron Corporation.
- ● OKAO, OKAO Vision, and the OKAO logo are registered trademarks of Omron Corporation.